Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Roasted Vegetables and Me

I have recently fallen in love with roasted vegetables: zucchini, squash, peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, carrots, the delicious list goes on. I have been using them a lot in pasta dishes. But, I recently got to thinking: where else could roasted vegetables take me? Apparently, to lunch.

My new thing is buying a bunch of zucchini or squash from Trader Joe's, roasting them up, maybe adding a few peppers or mushrooms, and eating these roasted vegetables on sandwiches. Its nice because one batch gives me lunch for a whole week.

On the menu today: hummus, roasted red peppers, roasted zucchini, avocado, and Emmental on lightly toasted Multi-Grain bread. Tomorrow? The combinations are endless: hummus, pesto, Dijon, aioli; any kind of cheese you can imagine (Gruyere, Gorgonzola, feta, goat, cheddar); any vegetable you have, want, or need (roasted bell pepper, fresh bell pepper, avocado, carmelized onions, tomato, sun-dried tomatoes...). So, from me and my new lunch date, a recipe for roasted zucchini and peppers.

Roasted Zucchini and Peppers
6 zucchini, cut length-wise into thirds or quarters
1 red pepper, cut length-wise into 1/4 inch strips
Drizzle of olive oil
Sprinkle of salt, pepper, and Herbs de Provence*

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Herbs de Provence. Roast 25-30 minutes, turning once.

*Herbs de Provence is a pleasant mix of lavender, fennel, basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, tarragon, mint, chevril, savory, and other herbs. I think it adds a nice depth of flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment